Monday, August 13, 2007

Milestones

Today, I started back to work at my mother morning out program in my church. I had an awesome day. The kids are adorable. They are calm spirited. They are happy and funny kids. Today was indeed a good day. I am excited about this year coming working with these children. They are eager to learn. There is one that made my heart just leap with joy. He is a special needs child. He has down-syndrome. He is only 2 years of age. However, I noticed the growth in him.
During the summer him and his brother started coming to the summer program my friend does at the church. And, I just kept hearing about the progress he has overcome. He uses sign-language to communicate because his speech is not fully developed yet. However, he is absorbing every information. He used to sit on a high chair now he is sitting on a regular chair at the table. He is a big boy. He just makes me so happy. He does funny faces and I do them right back and we laugh.
Today, while playing in the playroom he climb the stairs to the slide. And, I just cheered him on and clapped my hands. He clapped too. He also went down the stairs as well. He is really smart. His face just lights up with so much glow when he smiles. He was my little shadow today in the playroom. He is just so terrific.
Things like climbing up and down the slide stairs or sitting at the big boy table with his friends or just helping him do thumb prints may be nothing to someone else, but to him their are his milestones in life that he gets to accomplish.
I look at him and I am proud to be his teacher this year. He makes me think how sometimes we can get wrapped up with our selves too much. Just like he is accomplishing his milestones it makes me think what milestone can I too accomplish my self to not only better myself but also to help someone else?

He is just so amazing. He is my little ray of sunshine. Little does he know it he is teaching me more than I am teaching him.

No comments: